UNIX is an operating system and proprietary.
Linux is a unix-like operating system kernel and open source.
UNIX is multitasking and multiuser operating system created by Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie at AT&T in 1970. Initially intended for use inside the Bell System.
Linux is unix-like operating system released as free and open source. Linux is created by Linus Torvalds. Linux distributions uses Linux kernel to build the whole operating systems. Not only a Linux, BSD unix also a unix-like operating system. But Linux has more volunteers and evolved rapidly.
Most of the Linux commands are same to UNIX. But Linux is POSIX-compliant.
Let’s talk about Linux OS first.
- The source code of Linux is freely available to it’s users.
- Linux primarily uses Graphical User Interface with an optional Command Line Interface.
- Linux OS is portable and can be executed in different hard drives.
- Linux is very flexible and can be installed on most of the home based PCs.
- Linux is used on home based PCs, Mobile Phones, Desktops, etc.
- Different version of Linux are Ubuntu, Linux Mint, RedHat, Solaris, etc.
- Linux installation is economical and doesn’t require much specific and high end hardware.
- The file systems supported by Linux are as follows:
xfs, ramfs, nfs, vfat, cramfsm, ext3, ext4, ext2, ext1, ufs, autofs, devpts, ntfs.
- Linux is development by an active Linux Community worldwide.
Now comes the UNIX OS.
- The source code of Unix is not available for the general public.
- Unix primarily uses Command Line Interface.
- Unix is not portable.
- Unix has a rigid environment of the hardware. Hence, cannot be installed on every other machine.
- Unix is mainly used in Server Systems, Mainframes and High End Computers.
- Different Versions of Unix are AIS, HP-UX, BSD, Iris, etc.
- Unix installation is comparatively costlier as it requires more specific hardware circuitry.
- The file systems supported by Unix are as follows:
zfs, js, hfx, gps, xfs, vxfs.
- Unix is developed by AT&T Developers.
So long story short :
Unix was standard and companies created their UNIX using that standard like HP-Unix, AIX, Solaris which were not free.
Linux also came from same standard that’s why Linux name contains Unix in it.
Later Linux which is free became standard and it has many distros ex. RedHat, Ubuntu, Suse etc.